Re: varchar as primary key

От William Garrison
Тема Re: varchar as primary key
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I don't recommend it.  There are better ways to store UUIDs:

char(32)    <-- Easy to work with, fixed length, inefficient
varchar(32) <-- 4 bytes larger due to variable size
bytea()     <-- 20 bytes, variable length
bit(128)    <-- 16 bytes, optimal

I don't like char() or varchar() because of case-senstivity and
inefficiency.

We used bytea, and created a small function byte2guid() and guid2byte()
to handle converting to/from strings when working at a SQL prompt.  But
the production code doesn't use those.  In retrospect, I would like to
have tried BIT(128) since I think fixed-length columns perform better
than variable-length columns.