security issue - database user

От John Madden
Тема security issue - database user
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
(My apologies if this has been posted before - as you'll see, this isn't
the easiest thing to find in the archives.)

The scenario: We want to allow common users access to their own databases
for development.

The issue: As a user (not a superuser), I can modify any database on the
system, albeit only through CREATE TABLE.

CREATE USER myuser WITH PASSWORD 'blah' CREATEDB;
psql template1 -h db -U myuser
  (password auth)
template1 => CREATE DATABASE myuser;

(re-auth as user postgres, drop createdb privs)
ALTER USER myuser NOCREATEDB;

Now, we connect to our database (myuser) as myuser and go about our
business.  However, I can connect to any other database I've got access to
through pg_hba.conf:

psql somedb -h db -U myuser
  (password auth)
somedb => \d

I can't modify/etc. any existing tables, as one would expect, but:

somedb=> CREATE TABLE mytable(test text);
CREATE

Why is this allowed?  Any way to prevent it?  We've got a lot of users
working on a development server that obviously has hba to quite a few
databases...

Thanks,
  John

--