Re: Auto Partitioning

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Auto Partitioning
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 April 2007 09:19, NikhilS wrote:
>> Our current partitioning solution is based on inheritance. With that in
>> mind, for 8.3 I thought an implementation based on auto rules creation
>> would be the way to go.
>>

> The only problem I have with this is that the shops I know with big
> partitioned tables favor triggers over rules for both performance reason and
> a cleaner implementation.  Even with automated rule creation this isnt going
> to change afaics... not to mention we already create our rules & triggers
> automatically, so really this just isn't exciting to me (though it may make
> it easier for people getting in on the ground floor)

I second this. The trigger route is much more maintainable than the rule
route. IMO what really needs to happen is something more low level where
there are no DBA visible changes. Triggers also have overhead, it would
be nice to get a little more bare metal with this.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/