[HACKERS] pg_ctl kill support for KILL signal was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Addtest for postmaster crash restarts.

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема [HACKERS] pg_ctl kill support for KILL signal was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Addtest for postmaster crash restarts.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 09/30/2017 10:32 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,

>> I put it in when we rewrote pg_ctl in C many years ago, possibly out of
>> a superabundance of caution. I agree it's worth revisiting. I think the
>> idea was that there's a difference between an ordinary footgun and an
>> officially sanctioned footgun :-)
> Heh.  I'm inclined to take it out. We could add a --use-the-force-luke
> type parameter, but it doesn't seem worth it.

I agree, but I think we need this discussed on -hackers. Does anyone
have an objection to allowing "pg_ctl kill KILL somepid"? As Andres
points out, in most places you can just call kill from the command line
anyway, so disallowing it is not really a security feature. Having it
would let us have portable crash restart tests.

cheers

andrew