Re: Plans for 8.2?

От Harry Jackson
Тема Re: Plans for 8.2?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 1/12/06, Jeff Trout <threshar@torgo.978.org> wrote:

> >> Too bad - I think that will keep a lot of potential users from
> >> evaluating Pg as a serious alternative. Good or bad, decide for
> >> yourself :)
> >

> Isn't the [expensive db name here]'s replication/failover just an
> expensive addon?
> As in if you don't pay for it you don't get it.
>
> So we're basically in the same boat as them.. just an add on. we just
> offer more variety.

Not really. The entire company of [expensive DB name here] is at the
end of the phone[0].

Taking Oracle as an example.

I am not aware of Oracle etc having a seperate company that sells
replication on top of their database although I could be wrong. The
other thing is that Oracle is supported by various platforms etc and
that support will include their replication or clustering offering.
Sun has offered to support PostgreSQL just recently but have they
offered to support any of the replication offerings?

I would hardly say we are in the same boat just because we have bolt
on replication.

--
Harry
http://www.hjackson.org

[0] I am not suggesting that this improves support although it does
improve the appearance of support.