Re: [Bulk] Re: Disconnecting non active (IDLE ) users

От August Zajonc
Тема Re: [Bulk] Re: Disconnecting non active (IDLE ) users
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Ted Byers wrote:

[snip]
> It is outrageously unethical, IMHO, for a programmer, or group thereof,
> to refuse to fix a problem that has arisen from how their targetted
> users use their application.

Let's save the determination of outrageous behavior for others and see
if we can help the user fix their problem.

Two suggestions:
Pgpool

Change keepalive settings in kernel if the machine is only used for
postgresql. If you disable keepalives, at some point the kernel will
likely drop the connection. Postgresql turns keepalives on by default
(which is usually a good thing).

Your apps should login transparently though and know how to handle this
issue. Prompting users repeatedly to login can be frustrating, the usual
question is how to keep a connection open longer :)

I'm not sure that postgresql would itself implement a timeout feature...

Good luck.

- August