Re: [GENERAL] Why does this hot standy archive_command work

От Steve Atkins
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Why does this hot standy archive_command work
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> On Jan 20, 2017, at 7:03 PM, btober@computer.org <btober@broadstripe.net> wrote:
>
> While learning a bit about basic hot standby configuration, I was reviewing an article that used these parameters
>
> wal_level = 'hot_standby'
> archive_mode = on
> archive_command = 'cd .'
> max_wal_senders = 1
> hot_standby = on
>

> How or why that particular archive_command actually works (... and it does ... I tried it ...) is not clear to me
basedon reading of the Postgresql documentation on this topic. I would have expected to see an actual copy or rsync
command,as described in the fine manual at section 25.3.1. "Setting Up WAL Archiving"

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-master-slave-replication-on-postgresql-on-an-ubuntu-12-04-vps

> Can anyone enlighten on this topic, or provide a link to an existing explanation?

It's not archiving logs at all, instead relying on streaming them directly to the slave.

Changing archive_mode requires a server restart, while changing archive_command from a command that does nothing,
successfully,to a command that actually archives logs just requires a reload. So this lets you enable archiving without
haltingthe server by changing the command.

Or that's how I vaguely recall it working some years ago. Things may have changed now - you're following a very old
tutorial.

Cheers,
  Steve

От: "btober@computer.org"
Сообщение: [GENERAL] Why does this hot standy archive_command work
От: Chris Travers
Сообщение: [GENERAL] Free seminar in Malmo: PostgreSQL at 10TB and Beyond