number of tables limited over time (not simultaneous)?

От dave crane
Тема number of tables limited over time (not simultaneous)?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
We've settled upon a method for gathering raw statistics from widely
scattered data centers of creating one sequence per-event, per minute.

Each process (some lapp, some shell, some python, some perl etc)  can
call a shell script which calls ssh->psql to execute a nextval('event')
sequence.  Periodically (every 2-10 minutes, depending on other factors)
Another process picks up the value and inserts it into a permanent home.

We're only talking a few 7-10k calls per minute, but going to this from
a query that does an update has saved a *huge* amount of overhead.

If I needed to a periodic dump and restore would only take a minute.
This data is highly transient.  More frequently than biweekly or so
would be annoying though.

Aside from security concerns, did we miss something?  Should I be
worried we're going through ~60,000 sequences per day?

TIA,
dave