Re: 8.2 Admin Pack broken?

От Andy Shellam (Mailing Lists)
Тема Re: 8.2 Admin Pack broken?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
Andy Shellam (Mailing Lists) wrote:
Not particularly!! Don't know what it is but it doesn't _appear_ to
be GNU.  According to "man make" it is a "FreeBSD General Command." I
can tell you that "./configure && make && make install" works and
builds a working Postgres server just fine, it's just the contribs it
doesn't build.
There is extra code in the top-level makefile that detects if you don't
run GNU make, tries to find it, and calls it instead.  But you need to
have it installed somewhere.  That code, however, is not replicated in
each directory of the source tree.

In the past, we have usually refered to the GNU make program as "gmake",
but I see an increasing number of systems, including my own, that no
longer installs GNU make as "gmake" but only as "make".  So basically
you just need to be careful what you call.

Ah that provides an explanation, thanks Peter!  I installed GNU make before trying to build Postgres as there was another program I needed it for, so I never crossed this problem while building Postgres.
Yes, regarding make, I've noticed that all GNU stuff I've compiled on FreeBSD gets installed into /usr/local/ by default, which keeps it separate from the system programs in /usr.

HTH

Andy