Re: how to add a new data partition

От Shane Ambler
Тема Re: how to add a new data partition
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Karthikeyan Sundaram wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
>   Thanks for replying.  The tablespace is not the main problem here.  I
> want the data files to grow in the new partition along with the old
> linux partition.
>
>   Let me put like this.
>
>    We have a linux partition of 120GB called as
> /local/postgres/database/Data/< followed by all files>
>
>     This /local partition is 95 % used.
>
>     So we are adding one more partition called /local1 which is
> approximately 250 GB.  Now I want to inform postgres that after /local
> partiion is 100 %, I want to utilize the /local1 so that the database
> can grow significantly.  In other words, the data file created and
> maintained by postgres will grow in the /local1 partition.

The closest I would think is partitioning - data matching certain
criteria can be in one tablespace and other data in another tablespace.
This won't be just once this disk is full use another - you would say
something like table1's rows with id<2000000 on this disk and
id>=2000000 on another.
If your data is that large you may want to look into the benefit's it
can offer even if you do use lvm.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/ddl-partitioning.html

--

Shane Ambler