Re: Predicted lifespan of different PostgreSQL branches

От Shane Ambler
Тема Re: Predicted lifespan of different PostgreSQL branches
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Dave Page wrote:
> Oisin Glynn wrote:
>> My 8.2c,
>> Having 8.1 end of life this soon after the release of 8.2 seems pretty
>> harsh.
>
> Yeah, I agree. In part I'm basing the idea to support the current and 2
> previous branches on the amount of work required to build a complete set
> of point releases in one go - 3 seems manageable over a weekend. 4 would
>  probably be possible, but would be more rushed than I'd like.

I don't see a problem if the updates for the current and previous
release binaries are available on the current schedule and older release
  update binaries are available a few days to a week later.

The other option is to extend the time allocated between the decision to
OK the releases and making the binaries available.

For example we could say source release available friday with 8.2.x and
8.1.x binaries available monday then 8.0.x and 7.4.x binaries available
thursday or friday.

A lot of users may download the releases as they come out but most with
production servers won't be installing them the same day.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL@007Marketing.com

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz