Re: Predicted lifespan of different PostgreSQL branches

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Predicted lifespan of different PostgreSQL branches
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Dave Page wrote:
> Bill Moran wrote:
>> Does the PostgreSQL project have any similar policy about EoLs?  Even just
>> a simple statement like, "it is our goal to support major branches for 2
>> years after release" or some such?
>
> I've been considering only maintaining the current and previous 2
> versions in pgInstaller (the Windows binary distro). But that's a *lot*
> harder to maintain than just PostgreSQL because of all the bundled
> stuff. In other words, when 8.3 is out, the 8.0 series gets dropped.
>
> What do people think about that? Does anyone think it would be an
> unreasonable policy?

Just to have an opinion that differs from what others have said, I think
it's perfectly reasonable given the amount of software that gets packed
in there.

Perhaps we should continue to support the old 8.0 version with just the
binaries-no-installer.zip? IIRC, that one contains just the core
software and not all the addons, which should then make it significantly
easier to maintain?

//Magnus