Re: Example of RETURNING clause to get auto-generated keys

От Ken Johanson
Тема Re: Example of RETURNING clause to get auto-generated keys
Дата
Re: Example of RETURNING clause to get auto-generated keys  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-general

> Now playing devil's advocate, can anyone see scenarios where this will
> not work as expected? Examples (descriptions not sql necessarily) of
> those would be helpful too...

Just to be sure, will the RETURNING clause work with custom sequences
(say, non numeric or increment by two) or other types of key
generators?... And how will triggers interfere with it (if at all)?

I honestly have limited experience with server generated keys that are
not numeric/serial (or uuids), or with cases where triggers,
constraints, etc might come into play (I'm used to using the DB mostly
as a storage device and using server-side logic..)

Ken