Re: Example of RETURNING clause to get auto-generated keys

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Example of RETURNING clause to get auto-generated keys
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ken Johanson wrote:

> >Now playing devil's advocate, can anyone see scenarios where this will
> >not work as expected? Examples (descriptions not sql necessarily) of
> >those would be helpful too...
> >

> Just to be sure, will the RETURNING clause work with custom sequences
> (say, non numeric or increment by two) or other types of key
> generators?... And how will triggers interfere with it (if at all)?
>
> I honestly have limited experience with server generated keys that are
> not numeric/serial (or uuids), or with cases where triggers,
> constraints, etc might come into play (I'm used to using the DB mostly
> as a storage device and using server-side logic..)

As far as I know, RETURNING will give you exactly the values that are
put into the table.  If you had a weird sequence or strange stuff
invoked in functions, they will be computed much earlier than the
RETURNING values be fetched, so the latter will get the correct values
all the time.  (It would be quite dumb to do otherwise anyway).