Re: About PostgreSQL certification

От Mark Kirkwood
Тема Re: About PostgreSQL certification
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Theo Schlossnagle wrote:

> On Jan 23, 2007, at 4:33 PM, David Fetter wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 11:52:08AM -0200, Iannsp wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I did like to know what you think about the postgresql
>>> certifications provided for
>>>
>>> PostgreSQL CE http://www.sraoss.co.jp/postgresql-ce/news_en.html
>>>
>>> CertFirst http://www.certfirst.com/postgreSql.htm
>>>
>>> My question is about the validate of this certification for the
>>> clients.  Make difference to be certified?
>>
>> Clueful clients will look unfavorably on any "PostgreSQL
>> certification" you have.  They will instead insist on experience and
>> references, as clueful clients do. :)
>
> I don't believe that's true.  Oracle certification means quite a bit.
> Cisco certification is excellent.  Sun certification is decent.  If the
> PostgreSQL certifications don't mean much it is a problem with the
> particular vendor of the certificate and you (as a PostgreSQL entity)
> should contest their right to use PostgreSQL name in their advertising
> or marketing.  Certification programs can and should mean something.

Certification is ok - but is only of actual value when combined with
real experience. The reason I say this is that certification programs in
general can be beaten by various techniques (e.g. friends, online
research, guessing etc). Also over time they are rendered (almost)
useless by the (lucrative) side businesses that come into being (e.g.
'boot camps', mock exams etc).

I think seeing relevant training courses + experience on a CV trumps
certification anytime - unfortunately a lot of folks out there are
mesmerized by shiny certificates....

Cheers

Mark

Сообщение: Re: About PostgreSQL certification
Сообщение: Re: About PostgreSQL certification