Re: Installing PostgreSQL under Cpanel

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Installing PostgreSQL under Cpanel
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 01:31:23AM +0800, Erick Papadakis wrote:
>> I am not speaking of exotic platforms like some obscure fork of POSIX
>> or something. I am speaking of Cpanel/WHM with Linux (CentOS in my
>> case) which must be hosted on hundreds of thousands of webservers
>> around the world.
>
> Setting aside the fact that I don't even know what Cpanel is, I'm not
> sure how this is practical. How many versions of Cpanel are there and
> which versions of postgres do they ship? If Cpanel releases a new
> version, do the postgresql docs needs to be updated?

Cpanel is one of those things that consultants dread. It is a hosting
panel that gives a nice web administrative interface to a bunch of stuff
like email, vhosting etc..

THe problem is, it is also badly designed from a PostgreSQL
infrastructure perspective and typically ships with older versions of
PostgreSQL and further it sort of jails its install so upgrading
PostgreSQL becomes a bear.

IMO, if you want to use a PostgreSQL ignore Cpanel and use PostgreSQL.
Use Cpanel for all its pretty features but stay away from it for your
PostgreSQL requirements.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Сообщение: Re: Installing PostgreSQL under Cpanel
Сообщение: Re: Installing PostgreSQL under Cpanel