Re: Installing PostgreSQL under Cpanel

От Alban Hertroys
Тема Re: Installing PostgreSQL under Cpanel
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Erick Papadakis wrote:
> Thanks Thomas.

Please don't top-post, it disturbes the flow of the communication.

> But:
>
> - "psql" at the command says
>  > psql: FATAL:  database "root" does not exist
>
> - "psql -d postgres" at the command says
>  > psql: FATAL:  role "root" does not exist
>
> How should I create the first database, or the first user etc? The
> links you suggested are all *after* I login to the interface?

There's documentation about that too, at the end of the installation
instructions IIRC.

> How should I start the postgresql service? How should I check it is on?

This suggests you're using PostgreSQL on Windows. I don't know anything
about Windows (except that it's suitable for games :P), so can't help
you with that. However, I can solve one of your other problems:

Windows doesn't really have a native "interactive shell"; I suppose
cmd.exe is the closest thing. I suppose that's what you were looking for
when you were told to use psql - which wasn't the correct answer in that
case.

> Thanks
>

> On 1/23/07, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:
>> On 23.01.2007 15:10 erick.papa@gmail.com wrote:
>> > Now what?
>> >

>> > 1. Where's the interactive shell?
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/app-psql.html

I think this has caused some confusion. Although psql is an interactive
shell, it is a shell to the database - not to the OS. I think the OP's
question refered to interactive shells to the OS.

This isn't the first time for this question to rise. Apparently some
documentation refers to the term without explaining what it is (which
would indeed be quite unnecessary for UNIX users). Maybe a documentation
patch is in order?

>>  > How can I start creating a database,
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/app-createdb.html

createdb is a command line utility, that you can start from your
"interactive shell". Using cmd.exe, you probably need to set your PATH
to where createdb.exe(?) and createuser.exe(?) were installed.

>> > creating users, testing things out?
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/app-createuser.html

See above.

--