Re: Unable to start server - winxp

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Unable to start server - winxp
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Joost Kuckartz wrote:
> Thanks for all the help guys,
> I actually found the problem and solution.
>
> Maybe for others who will have this, let me recap:
> - While installing the msi file I had to disable the initialization in
> the installer, because of installation on a FAT32 partition
> - I then ran the initdb.exe, typing in my own database directory in the
> commandline using "initdb -D databasedir"
> - I then wanted to start the postgresql server using the command
> "postgres -D database" , where 'database' is the directory
> - I got an error I can't run as an admin, but a unpriviledged user needs
> to start it.

Right. This is where you have to use pg_ctl if you want to start it from
the commandline. (If you look at the entry in the services list, you
will see that it starts the service using pg_ctl)

> The solution:
> - in the initdb.exe, always type "initdb -D ../data", and no other
> directory. Reason: the service installed in windows xp always points to
> the data folder within the postgres installation directory. I haven't
> found a way to change that, so I just run initdb for that dir. Then
> start the service in the windows service panel (configuration - system
> control - services - postgresql)

You can change this during the install by clicking the "Data directory"
entry and change the location for it.
If you want to change it after you've installed, you are unfortunately
currently restricted to using the registry editor, or to unregister and
re-register the service.

> ------
> For me this was a long way of founding out, but now I did and I could
> access the database. So maybe a lot think now I'm a noob with accounts
> and users and stuff - well maybe I am. I never installed one before, it
> always was available for me on the webserver I use.

Let us know if there is any specific portion of the documentation that
you think should be improved to make this easier for others - and
preferably how it should be improved as well ;-)

> Looking at your answers you think I had a complete other problem. About
> postmaster.exe - I don't even know where to find that one. Windows found
> that one himself when the service was installed I suppose.

Ah, my bad. Prior to 8.2 there was both postmaster.exe and postgres.exe.
In 8.2 they were unified into one binary called postgres.exe. I
temporarily forgot about that.

//Magnus

Сообщение: Clustering & Load Balancing & Replication