Clustering & Load Balancing & Replication

От
Тема Clustering & Load Balancing & Replication
Дата
Список pgsql-general
>Hi,
>
>I am currently investigating the preferred method of clustering a postgresql database on  Redhat?
>
>i would really appreciate some suggestions or experiences you guys have had.
>
>note: performance & redundancy are both equally desirable and i have plenty of resources.
>
>we already have licences for Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v4, i was wondering if Redhat's >Cluster Manager is a candidate? ~ or if either PGCluster or Slony1 have >advantages or drawbacks etc.

Couple of months ago, when I started looking at replication, and clustering I saw this as a fairly basic question, but the more I got into it the more I realized there's clustering, clustering and clustering, and replication, replication and replication.
I dont think anyone can give you a prefered method, not without a system spec.

I looked at Slony, even tried to help debug it on windows, and eventually realised its Master Slave arrangement would not work for me.
I looked at dBMirror, which I liked in concept but I didnt fancy the way the code was done in a project that seems to be dead.
Then I looked at some really weird and wonderful schemes that work on a core technology like a reliable message queue, not for me.

In the end I decided I wanted real time synchronous multi master replication, without conflict resolution, and that I didnt really want a dBCluster, I needed to cluster and load balance at web level, allowing for things like session management, multiple clusters, and remote sites.

Bad news is I couldnt find it, not for free anyway.

If you dont find a solution, try  http://spar.orgfree.com/index.html
Please keep in mind, its new and written by a novice out of desparation, not one of the community super geeks, but it takes a very pragmatic approach to replication and maybe just what the doctor ordered.... Good Luck.