Re: Recovery plan for DRDB setup - recovery tool

От Morten Andersen
Тема Re: Recovery plan for DRDB setup - recovery tool
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi Peter,

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Morten Andersen wrote:
>
>>So are there any Postgresql tools for analyzing and repairing the
>>"offline" database files (like e.g. the MySQL 'myisamchk'-tool).
>

> No.
>

>>So, how do other DRDB Postgresql sites handles failovers. Do you do
>>anything pro-active on the slave before starting Postgresql, or do
>>you trust DRDB and Postgresql completely.
>

> If you don't trust PostgreSQL, why would you trust its offline recovery
> tools?

:-) - sorry, I probably misphrased the question a little. It is not
really Postgresql I don't trust. It is more the combination of HW on two
machines, network and DRDB. And it is not really an issue about not
trusting any of the components involved, but about knowing what to do if
we ever find us self with a group of erroneous DB files.

But since you answered that no offline tools exist, and due to phrases
like this:

".. Since the postmaster can now clean up by itself, it is unlikely that
ipcclean will be improved upon in the future." (from the notes section
in the 'ipcclean' utility description:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/app-ipcclean.html)

I assume that Postgresql is partly "self-repairing", and will handle any
  required cleaning when a DRDB slave starts after a DRDB master failure.

Best Regards
Morten Andersen,
Instadia, Denmark