Re: Problem restoring with pg_dump

От Peter Wilson
Тема Re: Problem restoring with pg_dump
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Tom Lane wrote:
Peter Wilson <petew@yellowhawk.co.uk> writes:
Tom Lane wrote:
Could you show us the unmodified output from pg_restore -l, as well as
the edits you made to produce the -L script?

Raw output from pg_restore -l is as follows:
Hm, this shows only data entries.  Was the original pg_dump made with -a,
or did you use -a in the pg_restore -l command?  If the latter, could we
see the full -l output?  I didn't have any luck trying to reproduce this
behavior, so I'm supposing it depends on something you haven't shown us...
The dump was data-only :
    pg_dump -data-only -U user --format=c --compress=9 whitebeam

I have a script that builds the empty database on the restore machine then fills it from the pg_dump file.

This approach has worked perfectly for a year or so.

Partly the question might be 'what does the error message mean?' - it almost looks like do_restore doesn't think it has a real file underneath it, instead something that only provides sequential access.

I installed from RPMs. Since I originally posted I've tried the following :
+  installed the 8.1.5 RPMs - same result
+  build 8.1.5 from source - same result
+  run pg_restore from another machine - connecting to the server having problems - same result
+ Tried in a different machine - same result

To make sure there isn't a difference between the database structures I've now done a pg_dump --schema-only --format=p and then used that to create the database before importing the data. Same result again. The data file itself is just about 1.2 Gbytes in size.

Tonights backup I'm going to remove the --data-only to see whether I have any more luck.
		regards, tom lane
Thanks
Pete

--