Re: Out of file-descriptors message

От Geoffrey
Тема Re: Out of file-descriptors message
Дата
Re: Out of file-descriptors message
Список pgsql-admin
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>>> Yeah, the point is that you have the max_files_per_process setting
>>> higher than what the kernel likes.  So decrease it, and Postgres will
>>> adjust itself to use less file descriptors by closing and reopening
>>> files as needed.
>> I work with the original poster and wanted to make sure the problem here
>> is clear.
>
> Yes, that was understood from the beginning.
>
>> The 'out of file descriptors' message is coming from
>> Postgresql, not the kernel.  Thus, it doesn't make sense to me that the
>> max_files_per_process setting is too high.  I would think we need to
>> increase it so that Postgresql will stop generating these errors.
>
> No, you need to lower it so that Postgres doesn't _try_ to use as many
> file descriptors.  Read this again:
>
>>>                                    So decrease it, and Postgres will
>>> adjust itself to use less file descriptors by closing and reopening
>>> files as needed.

Okay, I'm just not getting it.  Postgres complains that it is out of
file descriptors.  The kernel is not complaining about any such issues.

                         So I should lower the max_files_per_process
value and this will rid us of the 'out of file descriptors' error?

Is it because the max_files_per_process is greater then the number of
file descriptors that are alloted to Postgres by the kernel?

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin

Сообщение: Re: Out of file-descriptors message
Сообщение: Re: Out of file-descriptors message