Converting CP1252 to UTF-8

От Robert D Oden
Тема Converting CP1252 to UTF-8
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I have a total of 60GB's in several database with encoding set to
SQL_ASCII. I am using version 8.0. The data has always been encoded in
CP1252 prior to inserting into the database.

I have characters between 0x80 and 0x9F scattered throughout the
databases which I cannot loose.

I noticed in version 8.1 I can set the database encoding to WIN1252.
Will the following work to keep from loosing the above characters:

Upgrade to 8.1
Create the databases in CP1252
Restore the data
Dump the databases again to set the appropriate encoding in the dump file
Create the databases with UTF-8 encoding
Restore the data

Thanks in advance,

Doug

--