Re: Integrating Replication into Core

От Markus Schiltknecht
Тема Re: Integrating Replication into Core
Дата
Re: Integrating Replication into Core  (Dimitri Fontaine <dim@dalibo.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello Jose,

José Orlando Pereira wrote:
> Indeed, we in GORDA have also came up with yet another set of changes to
> grammar and GUC variables. This is not the ideal scenario. :-(
>
> I understand that different people have different motives not to agree with
> the GORDA-style hook based approach. Therefore, I suggest that we try to
> agree on small but sure steps.

I appreciate your efforts to come up with hooks. But as I've already
stated, I'm not ready to settle down for concrete hooks for Postgres-R
(8), so I probably can't help.

> The worst outcome of this would be that we all
> end up with smaller patches to maintain...

Do you really maintain patches? I'm maintaining a source tree and I'd
like to keep it that way, as of now.

I'd better like to work together in other areas, for example, what do
you use for testing? I've read that the Sequoia people use their
home-grown (and closed source) test suite. I'm about to write the third
generation of my own test suite...

For simulations, I'm using qemu, sometimes also trying Xen, but that
does not run on my laptop. :-(

Perhaps we can share test suites, or even automated benchmarks? IMO, we
would gain a whole lot more with that than with hooks.

Regards

Markus