Re: Is UTF-8 required for PostgreSQL JDBC?

От Markus Schaber
Тема Re: Is UTF-8 required for PostgreSQL JDBC?
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Hi, Bill,

Wm.A.Stafford wrote:
> When installing PostgreSQL two weeks ago I thought I  read that the
> encoding for a DB that will be acccessed via JDBC must be UTF-8.  Is
> this correct?  I can not find the docs  page where I saw this and I'm
> beginning to wonder if I imagined it.

That's wrong, the database can be in any encoding you like.

The connection actually is encoded in UTF-8. PostgreSQL converts all
data between UTF-8 and the actual database encoding, and the JDBC triver
converts between UTF-8 and the JVM-internal unicode representation
(which is likely to be an UTF-16-derivate, as that's closest to what's
visible to the Java code).

Executing a "SET client_encoding TO foobar" through the JDBC driver may
break things for that one connection.

HTH,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org