Re: Does pgAdmin have to double-quote table and

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Does pgAdmin have to double-quote table and
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
novnov wrote:
> I am having a discussion re pgsql double quoting or not in the General
> mailing list, it's buried in the thread titled "Simple stored procedure
> examples?" As far as I understand things, pgsql ignores case, unless I
> explicitly use surround table and field names etc with double quotes. If I
> use the double quotes then pgsql requires me to use referenece those objects
> using double quotes and the exact case that I did originally. I'm not even
> sure that I'm correct about all of that, but if I am, it seems that pgAdmin
> is adding an uneccessary layer by automaticallly double quoting table and
> field names that are not all lowercase.

pgAdmin is a GUI app that is designed to shield users from
implementation details wherever possible. When you create a table, you
don't need to know the SQL syntax, so why should you know about quoting
issues?

> This is important to me because I want to use namestyles like Item and
> ItemName, and I don't want to have to double quote every table and field
> reference. It seems that pgsql itself is fine with my preferred style but
> that pgAdmin is effectively preventing it? I like pgAdmin otherwise so I'd
> prefer not to have to hunt down a different editor.

in psql you're not using your preferred naming style as PostgreSQL will
be downcasing the names for you unless you quote them. The queries may
work, but as soon as you attach an ODBC app, .NET app, Java app or
whatever, it will see all the names in lowercase.

Regards, Dave.

Сообщение: Re: Does pgAdmin have to double-quote table and
Сообщение: Re: Does pgAdmin have to double-quote table and