Re: updating to 7.4.13 helped it appears

От Geoffrey
Тема Re: updating to 7.4.13 helped it appears
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>> It appears that upgrading to 7.4.13 helped the problem we were having
>> with the postgres process terminating.  We still are having the problem,
>> but it does appear to be different, based on the output of backtraces.
>> The core files are much larger and there does seem to be a common thread
>> amongst most of them. I've attached one to see if anyone has any ideas
>> as to what our problem might be.  Suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> I don't think this backtrace makes much sense.  Did you compile with
> --enable-debug?

It didn't make much sense to me either, but then, I'm not familiar with
the postgres code. :(  Is this a gcc flag?   I did compile it with -g
option, I don't see an --enable-debug in the gcc man page.

> Are you sure you are passing the same postgres executable to GDB that
> was used to actually generate the core (i.e. the one that's running)?
> Is this core file generated from exactly that executable, or is it maybe
> one that was generated with an older executable?

The core files were generated on a machine that does not have postgres
compiled with debugging information, thus I built from source for the
same version on another machine and ran gdb against it and the generated
core file.  I've done this in the past with different applications and
was successful in debugging the core file.  If you believe this is not
generating an accurate trace, then I'll need to rebuild postgres on the
production machine (which is not what I wanted to do).

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin