Re: CREATE TABLE initial value for PRIMARY KEY

От Maurice Yarrow
Тема Re: CREATE TABLE initial value for PRIMARY KEY
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello Richard

Thanks for the tip.
So it turned out to be possible to do it like this:

CREATE SEQUENCE id_seq;
SELECT setval('id_seq',100111);
CREATE TABLE customer( id INTEGER DEFAULT nextval('id_seq'), name
VARCHAR(30) );

INSERT INTO customer (name) VALUES ('SomeName');
INSERT INTO customer (name) VALUES ('SomeOtherName');

Then
SELECT * FROM customer;
   id   |     name
--------+---------------
 100112 | SomeName
 100113 | SomeOtherName
(2 rows)

And it's that "setval" that is critical.

Note also that alternatively it can be done as follows:
CREATE TABLE customer ( id SERIAL, name VARCHAR(30) );
SELECT setval('customer_id_seq',100111);

INSERT INTO customer (name) VALUES ('SomeName');
INSERT INTO customer (name) VALUES ('SomeOtherName');

Then
SELECT * FROM customer;
   id   |     name
 100112 | SomeName
 100113 | SomeOtherName
(2 rows)

Thanks again for the suggestion.  Ultimately, for the exact
syntaxes I went to Momjian's book:
(7.4  Creating Sequences,  7.5  Using Sequences to Number Rows)

Maurice Yarrow