Re: measuring shared memory usage on Windows

От: Mark Kirkwood
Тема: Re: measuring shared memory usage on Windows
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

measuring shared memory usage on Windows  ("Harald Armin Massa", )
 Re: measuring shared memory usage on Windows  ("Magnus Hagander", )
  Re: measuring shared memory usage on Windows  ("Harald Armin Massa", )
   Re: measuring shared memory usage on Windows  ("Magnus Hagander", )
    Re: measuring shared memory usage on Windows  ("Harald Armin Massa", )
     Re: measuring shared memory usage on Windows  ("Magnus Hagander", )
      Re: measuring shared memory usage on Windows  ("Harald Armin Massa", )
       Re: measuring shared memory usage on Windows  ("Harald Armin Massa", )
     Re: measuring shared memory usage on Windows  (David Boreham, )
 Re: measuring shared memory usage on Windows  (David Boreham, )
 measuring shared memory usage on Windows  ("Harald Armin Massa", )
  Re: measuring shared memory usage on Windows  (Mark Kirkwood, )

Harald Armin Massa wrote:

> Yeah, I know the trial and error method. But I also learned that
> reading the manuals and documentation often helps.
>
> So after fastreading the various PostgreSQL tuning materials, I came
> accross formulas to calculate a fine starting point for shared memory
> size; and the recommendation to check with shared_memory information
> tools if that size is okay.
>
> And THAT is exactly the challenge of this thread: I am searching for
> tools to check shared memory usage on Windows. ipcs is not available.
> And neither Magnus nor Dave, both main contributors of the win32 port
> of PostgreSQL, and both way wiser concerning Windows internas then me,
> know of some :(

Would it help to have the postmaster report what the shared memory
allocation is when it starts up? (this won't help with the activity
stuff, but at least you would know for sure how *much* you have to use).

If I understand this correctly,

ShmemSegHdr->totalsize

is what we have allocated, so making the startup section of bootstrap.c
elog(LOG) could work.

Cheers

Mark