Re: encoding problem

От pobox@verysmall.org
Тема Re: encoding problem
Дата
Список pgsql-general
jef peeraer wrote:
> i never thought i would be bblocked by an encoding problem :-(
> My database is in LATIN1 , i have entries like this in a table called
> gemeenten
>     Column     |   Type   |                       Modifiers
> ---------------+----------+--------------------------------------------------------
>
>  id            | integer  | serial....
>  gemeente      | text     | not null
>  postcode      | smallint | not null
>  provincies_id | integer  |
>
> This data is copied from a dump from that table
>
> 9780    Quévy    7040    7
> 9781    Quévy-le-Grand    7040    7
> 9782    Quévy-le-Petit    7040    7
>
> So, the accents are there. But with my web page, which is set to
> ISO-8859-1, i don't get the accents.
> The web-pages are build with XUL, where i set the charset to ISO-8859-1,
> but communication with the server is through  XMLHttpRequest.
> Do I have to specify the charset as well in the communication between
> server and client ? Or where else could it go wrong.
>
> jef peeraer

I am not sure where your problem is, but we have used a PostgreSQL
database with the default encoding (ISO something or ANSI something,
can't recall right now, but not Unicode or so) for several years storing
all kind of encodings inside and outputting them successfully.

Only the browser encoding must match the original encoding.

Don't know if this helps, just wanted to give you our example.

All best,
Iv