Re: The server lacks instrumentation functions

От August Zajonc
Тема Re: The server lacks instrumentation functions
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> August Zajonc wrote:
>> Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>>> A package has to be installed on the server. admin81 is its name. You
>>> can find more infos on :
>>>   http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.4/extend.html
>>>

>> Which really should be integrated into the main distribution. MySQL gets
>> it very right here, and comes out of the box with some better standard
>> instrumentation.
>
> It is integrated into the main distribution. It is in contrib and you
> can add them as you like.

Apologies for the shortness of my tone. This has just been something
that has bothered me for a bit.

I see it's made it into /contrib, which is fantastic news! Dave I think
actually wrote me about this possibility a while back, so great to see
that it has happened!

Many of the distributions[1] still haven't picked up the adminpack, so
from a casual end users perspective installing the adminpack has been
non-trivial. I suspect for the person asking the question it actually
remains so even today. Remember that many people are doing binary
installs from a distribution. Last time I looked adminpack didn't use
PGXS either, though that too may have changed :)

Anyways, hopefully all this will be fixed in the 8.2 cycle and the
adminpack will become more available everywhere.

The reason this is interesting to me is that for me, instrumentation
really seemed like a core thing that one would want in a database. Most
other databases shipped with a standard interface exposing a fair bit of
info. Oracle is ridiculous in this way, but MySQL has some standard
basics as well. This meant that many management tools picked up that
exported set of information, because it was standardized and they could
count on it. The pg adminpack was really driven by pgadmin development,
and historically one had to go through pgadmin to get it.

Good news,

- August

[1] OpenSuSE, Fedora Dev, Mandriva

От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: Re: The server lacks instrumentation functions
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: The server lacks instrumentation functions