Disk space consumed by pk not returned after vacuum or reindex

От Kevin Johnson
Тема Disk space consumed by pk not returned after vacuum or reindex
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hello,

I am running into a problem on a RHEL3 systems, running PostgreSQL 7.4

We have a database, which consistently consumes more and more of the disk space in it's lvol until it reaches 100%.  So far, we have tried to run a full vacuum on the database, with limited success.  Eventually, we had to drop and reload the database with the same data inside.  It brought the disk usage down to 73%.  It then began to creep once more toward 100%.  After some research, I was able to use the pg_class catalog to find that the items which are expanding the quickest are primary key (btree) indexes.  I attempted to run a REINDEX on one of the tables with the pk taking up the largest amount of space.  The usage according to pg_class dropped dramatically, however the disk space was not returned to the system.  So I attempted another full vacuum afterwards, and still nothing was returned to the system.  These tables are updated extremely frequently (although their total number of rows is close to constant), which is my guess as to why the pk indexes increase so rapidly in terms of their disk usage.  Unfortunately, PostgreSQL knowledge is limited, and I was wondering if anyone had experienced something similar / knows what else we can do to return this disk space back to the system?

Thank you in advance for any/all help!

Kevin

Вложения