Re: Expand the use of check_canonical_path() for more GUCs

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Expand the use of check_canonical_path() for more GUCs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2020-05-29 19:24, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 7:02 AM Peter Eisentraut
>> That thread didn't resolve why check_canonical_path() is necessary
>> there.  Maybe the existing uses could be removed?
>
> This first sentence of this reply seems worthy of particualr
> attention. We have to know what problem this is intended to fix before
> we try to decide in which cases it's needed. Otherwise, whether we add
> it everywhere or remove it everywhere, we'll only know that it's
> consistent, not that it's correct.

The archeology reveals that these calls where originally added to
canonicalize the data_directory and config_file settings (7b0f060d54),
but that was then moved out of guc.c to be done early during postmaster
startup (337ffcddba).  The remaining calls of check_canonical_path() in
guc.c appear to be leftovers from a previous regime.