Re: PostgreSQL web site

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: PostgreSQL web site
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Magnus Hagander" <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:
>>> Actually that is a very good question... why are we not using
>>> mod_deflate?
>
>> Good question. It's definitly worth investigating.
>
> What are we talking about here --- some hack to make users' web browsers
> decompress pages on-the-fly?

No it is not a hack. With HTTP1.1 browers have the ability to compress
and decompress on the fly. This is done in the negotiation between

 > How much does that slow down the browsing
> experience, if you've got an old slow PC?

Well good question. How slow are we talking? If we are talking a AMD 300
people are likely not using broadband and it wouldn't matter anyway
because either way they are use to slow.

>  (I can believe that if you've
> got a fast PC and a slow internet connection, it could make things
> faster overall ... but the breakeven point is not obvious.)  What are
> the odds that people using older browsers will be locked out entirely?

None. Because it will fall back to 1.0 if your browser doesn't support
it. The browser will negotiate with the web server to determine the best
route to retrieve the data.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>             regards, tom lane