Re: Tricky bugs in concurrent index build

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Tricky bugs in concurrent index build
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Gregory Stark wrote:

>> The original thinking was to use CONCURRENT, and CREATE CONCURRENT INDEX
>> sounded like a different type of index, not a different way to build the
>> index.  I don't think CONCURRENTLY has that problem, so CREATE
>> CONCURRENTLY INDEX sounds good.  To read in English, it would be read as
>> CREATE CONCURRENTLY, INDEX ii.
>>

> That doesn't sound like English at all to me.
>
> Fwiw, I think the best option was what Tom did. The gotcha I tripped on seems
> pretty minor to me.

It's a form of construction my father (who was a noted orator) loved to
use, maybe a little too much. It is arguably slightly archaic, but
nevertheless quite grammatical ;-) I agree that these days it is more
idiomatic to defer the adverb until after the object of the verb in most
cases.

cheers

andrew