Re: WAL log switch: 8.1.4 and current log

От Andy Shellam
Тема Re: WAL log switch: 8.1.4 and current log
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi Robin,

No there is no command to switch the current WAL file.  There are a
number of things you could do.
You could rsync the current WAL file (i.e. the last modified file in the
pg_xlog directory) every 5 minutes or so.

However, depending on server usage, it isn't going to be long after a
backup that the WAL file is archived.  For example on my own server, I
get roughly 50 - 60 WAL files each day, so after a full backup, I have
at most half an hour to wait until the current file is archived.  And I
wouldn't say that my server is heavily used.

Really as long as your archive command is set up correctly, it's very
rare that you'd suffer because the current WAL file hasn't been
archived.  At worst what you can do is, until that first WAL log is
archived AFTER your backup, keep around all the WAL logs since your
PREVIOUS full backup - then in the event, you can recover that backup
and roll forward every log since then.

The best thing would be to test it - on your system (while transactions
are taking place) take a full backup, examine the *.backup file produced
in your xlog archive for the "ending WAL location" filename, and time
how long it takes until that file is archived.  Do it a couple of times
at different times of the day and you'll see roughly how much data
you'll lose on the off-chance the server fails immediately after a full
backup.

Hope this helps some!

Andy.