Re: 8.2 features status

От mdean
Тема Re: 8.2 features status
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>> I don't disagree with your thought process and I full agree :). I am
>>> just saying we should spice it up a bit :)
>>>
>>> Hmmmm....
>>>
>>> PostgreSQL has showed an unprecedented commitment to all skill
>>> levels of database developers. With the release of 8.2 the group has
>>> focused on refinement and usability. Features such as ... add to the
>>> already impressive list of enterprise class features such as ...
>>

>> Sounds very good, and that was my goal, that we get a "focus" idea for
>> the release, I think that is it.  As I remember, 8.0 was enterprise
>> features, and 8.1 was performance.
>>

> Quick reword:
>

> With the release of 8.2, PostgreSQL has shown an unprecedented
> commitment to all skill levels of database developers. The 8.2 version
> of PostgreSQL has focused on refinement and usability with features
> such as ...  Adding to the already impressive list of enterprise class
> features such as ...
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

I am interrested in finding out what you folks mean by usability and
refinement.  How do you measure it?  These seem to me to be unmeasurable
hackneyed terms with little intrinsic meaning!  So could you say
something like: the New Postgresql, version 8.2,  building on its
reputation of sheer power and ACID compliance, now implements feature 1,
which provides benefit 1, plus feature 2, which leads to benefit 2,
plus .... etc. thereby maximizing overall ease of use. ??

WE tend to speak of features, now is a good time to speak of benefits to
the dba, benefits for upgrading to an existing project, etc.  The New
Postgresql 8,2 will increase speed of response by x %, ad hoc queries
will be x % faster, etc.  I know I am being simplistic, but the benefits
need to blurt out, and be immediately recognizable as such to the
majority of players.  JMUETCW. Michael