Re: [BUGS] Patch to allow C extension modules to initialize/finish

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: [BUGS] Patch to allow C extension modules to initialize/finish
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> Also, if we do this we probably ought to remove the special-purpose
> hack for preload_libraries to specify an init function --- it should
> just happen by default.  Any objections to simplifying that?

The original idea of using the init function with preload_libraries was
to eliminate library startup that was expensive and only needed once.
Specifically in the case of libR (and presumably other libraries as
well), the init time was much greater than the actual library load time.
If it is removed from preload_libraries, then we'll pay that price for
every backend startup, no?

Joe