Re: [BUGS] Patch to allow C extension modules to initialize/finish

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [BUGS] Patch to allow C extension modules to initialize/finish
Дата
Re: [BUGS] Patch to allow C extension modules to initialize/finish
Список pgsql-hackers
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Also, if we do this we probably ought to remove the special-purpose
>> hack for preload_libraries to specify an init function --- it should
>> just happen by default.  Any objections to simplifying that?

> The original idea of using the init function with preload_libraries was
> to eliminate library startup that was expensive and only needed once.
> Specifically in the case of libR (and presumably other libraries as
> well), the init time was much greater than the actual library load time.
> If it is removed from preload_libraries, then we'll pay that price for
> every backend startup, no?

No, my thought is that you'd rename PL/R's init function to PG_init, and
then it'd get called automagically without needing to assume that the DBA
remembers to specify it in preload_libraries.  If there's a reason *not*
to do that then it'd be a strike against this whole proposal, methinks.