Re: Starting PostgreSQL from a windows application

От Andy Shellam
Тема Re: Starting PostgreSQL from a windows application
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi Hovik:
> Hello,
>
> I have installed Postures on a Windows server and it starts as a
> service and all is OK.
>
> I have 2 questions:
>
> 1. I need to be able to wrap PostgreSQL as part of my application and,
> therefore, start it as part of my app. start-up. I know that pg_ctl
> start is the command, but as your documentation clearly states,
> PostgreSQL can only be started by a non-privileged user. Here lies my
> problem.
> Most software needs a privileged user to start it. So how can I start
> PostgreSQL as a different user from the one which needs to be logged
> in to start the other software?
You would need the commands to start and stop a Windows service ("net
start <ServiceName>" I believe).  Does it really matter that PostgreSQL
is running while the application isn't?

> 2. How do I give my users a totally new database. Is backup/restore
> the only mechanism?
> Can I copy (parts of) the data directory, from one installation of
> PostgreSQL to another?
NO!! Never touch the raw PostgreSQL data files.  You could, as part of
your application, build in an SQL script of your DB schema, created by
"pg_dump --schema-only" that gets run through psql, or piped to an
Npgsql .NET library, ODBC connection or other technology.

--
Andy Shellam <mailto:andy.shellam@mailnetwork.co.uk>,
the Mail Network <http://www.mailnetwork.co.uk/>

NetServe Support - we don't go the extra mile; we go the whole distance!

p: (+44) 0 845 838 0879 / +44 0 7818 000834
w: www.mailnetwork.co.uk <http://www.mailnetwork.co.uk/>
e: support@mailnetwork.co.uk <mailto:support@mailnetwork.co.uk>

От: Ivo Rossacher
Сообщение: Re: TCP/IP connection on PostGre 8.0
От: "Chris Hoover"
Сообщение: create table problems