Re: How to Backup like in mysql or ms sql server

От Tino Wildenhain
Тема Re: How to Backup like in mysql or ms sql server
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Uwe C. Schroeder wrote:
> You can technically just copy & paste the postgresql data directory IF YOU
> SHUT DOWN THE POSTMASTER FIRST! Be aware that this will only work for the
> same version of postgresql. Also: this is not a good way to do it and I'd
> encourage you not to use this as general means of backup (it's ok if you want
> to create a quick clone of an existing database on a second machine -
> provided that the platform and postgresql version on there is identical to
> the source).

Well, err. thats not completely true with current postgres versions:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/backup-online.html

>> Is there any way to back-up database like mysql or sql server we just copy
>> and paste. Or maybe there is any tools to copy database when the service is
>> shutdown.
>>
>> Where is postgresql put teh database files?

Well, thats in the docs ;) (or see above)

btw, just "copy and paste" w/o preparation is
dangerous with the above databases too.

Regards
Tino