Re: How to Backup like in mysql or ms sql server

От Uwe C. Schroeder
Тема Re: How to Backup like in mysql or ms sql server
Дата
Список pgsql-general
You can technically just copy & paste the postgresql data directory IF YOU
SHUT DOWN THE POSTMASTER FIRST! Be aware that this will only work for the
same version of postgresql. Also: this is not a good way to do it and I'd
encourage you not to use this as general means of backup (it's ok if you want
to create a quick clone of an existing database on a second machine -
provided that the platform and postgresql version on there is identical to
the source).

The proper way would be to use pg_dump (a tool that comes along every
postgresql installation - see the docs for usage), which will dump the data
and structure.
There is a second such utility program called pg_restore which will take the
dump-file created with pg_dump and restore it to a database of your choosing.
Those dumps will be functional between versions and platforms - so that's the
way to go.

UC

--
Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC    1618 Kelly St
Phone:  +1 707 568 3056        Santa Rosa, CA 95401