Re: Database port changing issue

От louis gonzales
Тема Re: Database port changing issue
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hello Chris,
While yes, IF one were in a relative 'external' position - such as the
Internet - attempting to connect to this database that was internal -
assuming there was a firewall separating the two systems, one could
possibly assume there is a firewall filter, preventing this
connectivity; however, from the below email, jumping to the conclusion
that this may be a firewall issue, is a bit presumptuous.

As I think the original poster made a comment about the conflict with
opening up on port (wxyz) on BOTH IPv(4/6), this seems closer to the
truth of what is going on.  The general error message about the
server(ice) not being available, this could simply imply that the
service is not running on the port on is attempting to connect to.

After _any_ service is started up, a certain way to verify that it is at
least in a listening state ( in terms of TCP/IP layer 4 (TCP and/or
UDP)) one can issue the following commands:
Unix/Linux(aren't they the same thing? :)
    netstat -an | grep your_port_number_here
Windows
    netstat -an | find /i "your_port_number_here"

NOW, if this command returns anything, in particular what you're looking
for, and it shows that it's "LISTENING" then you KNOW there is
potentially an issue elsewhere - i.e. a firewall, OR the application is
just broken.