Re: Run 4 postgresql session on ONE server?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Run 4 postgresql session on ONE server?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
"scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com> writes:
> Yes, you can do it.  All you have to do is create four seperate accounts
> for it to run under (pgsql1, pgsql2, pgsql3, pgsql4) and then in each of
> those accounts, set up a different PGDATA value and initdb as that user.
> Then edit each account's postgresql.conf to have a different port number
> (I just incremented from 5432 to 5433 etc...) and start them up.

You don't really need N users, unless you have more protection concerns
than you mentioned (like you want each database to have its own DBA with
no access to the other ones).  A single "postgres" Unix userid can serve
for all the postmasters in typical cases.  All you really need are a
separate data directory and a separate port number for each postmaster.

Pay attention though to the amount of machine resources you are
committing to each postmaster.  You'd probably not want to push
shared_buffers up real far, for example.