Re: Interface

От Tony Caduto
Тема Re: Interface
Дата
Список pgsql-general
To refresh people's memory I have a simple Delphi interface (TEdit and
>> TNavigator) connected via ODBC to a Postgresql 8.0 table.
>>
>> I've tried the earlier suggestions in various forms with no success.
>>
>> I again was successful in updating the table with the table containing no
>> serial column. With the serial column included I get an error massage that
>> the serial column needs a value.
>>
>> I don't understand why the serial column is generated when a row is created
>> manually through Postgresql Admin interface but it doesn't generate when a
>> row is added through the Delphi interface.
>>
>> Could someone explain this difference?
>>
>> Bob Pawley

This is a issue with the design time components and also occurs for
Interbase/Firebird Generator (same thing as a sequence)

See this google link:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.pascal.delphi.databases/browse_thread/thread/72e87907b66a6923/153daefcdf7a5d9a?lnk=st&q=delphi+interbase+grid+generator&rnum=1&hl=en#153daefcdf7a5d9a

Another one:

http://groups.google.com/group/borland.public.interbase/browse_thread/thread/dd2e2975f2119f2c/8ca7149bac382cc5?lnk=st&q=delphi+interbase+grid+generator&rnum=22&hl=en#8ca7149bac382cc5

I am assuming you are using the serial field as the PK, so you could
also set the PK property to not required as in the last link.

This is related to ODBC though, you might really want to look at Zeos or
PostgresDAC which are native delphi tdataset and have this issue taken
care of internally.
I have never had this problem with either Zeos or PostgresDAC.

Hope this helps,

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design