Re: Arguments Pro/Contra Software Raid

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Arguments Pro/Contra Software Raid
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Vivek Khera wrote:

> On May 9, 2006, at 11:51 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Sorry that is an extremely misleading statement. SATA RAID is
>> perfectly acceptable if you have a hardware raid controller with a
>> battery backup controller.
>>
>> And dollar for dollar, SCSI will NOT be faster nor have the hard drive
>> capacity that you will get with SATA.
>
> Does this hold true still under heavy concurrent-write loads?  I'm
> preparing yet another big DB server and if SATA is a better option, I'm
> all (elephant) ears.

I didn't say better :). If you can afford, SCSI is the way to go.
However SATA with a good controller (I am fond of the LSI 150 series)
can provide some great performance.

I have not used, but have heard good things about Areca as well. Oh, and
make sure they are SATA-II drives.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

                     http://www.commandprompt.com/

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Arguments Pro/Contra Software Raid
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Arguments Pro/Contra Software Raid