Re: backup problem

От renneyt@yahoo.com
Тема Re: backup problem
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Jyry Kuukkanen wrote:
On Thu, 4 May 2006, Rodrigo Sakai wrote:

  Hi, I'm trying to do a backup of a database that is larger then 4 GB. But it gets an error when the file size gets 1.2 GB! I think its an Operational System problem (linux)! So, I want to know if exists some solution to backup my database??
 The command that I used was=
 pg_dump -U postgres -d dbdeveloper -a -v -D -f 'backup.sql'
 The operational system is linux with etx filesystem, and the version of postgres is 7.4!!

You can try:

pg_dump -U postgres -d dbdeveloper -a -v -D |bzip2 -c >backup.sql.bz2

bzip2 compresses better than gzip.

Restoration:

bzcat backup.sql.bz2|psql - postgres -d dbdeveloper

Cheers,

I use the same but use the bzip2 '--best' parameter for best compression or is that the default? Also for the OP Rodrigo Sakai, have your tried Solaris 10 x86? It is a rock solid OS from Sun that I have used for 12 years - 6 of them with Postgres. The two have coexisted together without incident. It can be d/led for free at the Sun site.