Invalid UTF8 & Large Objects

От Prasanth
Тема Invalid UTF8 & Large Objects
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

We recently migrated from 7.4.7 to 8.1.3. I did a pg_dumpall & then
pg_restore and it went fine.

Today I realized that the backups I am creating can't be used to reload
my database.
I use pg_dump -Fc to dump the database as I have Large Objects in the
database.

(I used to use pg_dump -b -Fc in 7.4.7 seems like the -b option is taken
out in 8.1.3 so I assume they are included automatically)

I get the error "ERROR:  invalid UTF-8 byte sequence detected........."

Did research online and fund out that it is because of invalid
characters in the database so started trying out the solution mentioned
in the posts that is by using iconv.

But then my problem is I have to do a text dump to use iconv in which
case I will loose the large objects.
I tried using the iconv on the dump generated using the -Fc option and
then when I try to restore that  I am getting the following error
pg_restore: [archiver] entry ID 0 out of range -- perhaps a corrupt TOC

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Prasanth.