Re: Practical impediment to supporting multiple SSL libraries

От Hiroshi Inoue
Тема Re: Practical impediment to supporting multiple SSL libraries
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

>On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 04:53:53PM +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>

>>Sounds really good.
>>

><snip>
>
>There's a message on the pgsql-odbc mailing list[1] with some reasons
>for not using libpq:
>
>1. The driver sets some session default parameters(DateStyle,
>   client_encoding etc) using start-up message.
>
>As far as I can see it only does this when the environment variables
>are set. Which IMHO is the correct behaviour.

IMHO if libpq is to be a generic library it should first provide exactly
what it can do using the protocol. *Environment varibales* are not
appropriate for per application/datasource settings at all.

>3. Quote: I don't know what libraries the libpq would need in the
>future but it's quite unpleasant for me if the psqlodbc driver can't be
>loaded with the lack of needeless librairies.
>
>It's a reason, just not a good one IMHO. If the user has installed
>libpq with a number of libraries, then that's what the user wants. I'm
>not sure why psqlODBC is worried about that.

It's very important to clarify for what the libraries are needed and my
basic policy
is to provide appropriate bindings(linkage) between the libraries for
the current
dependency relation. As for SSL mode it is only a mere extra for the current
enhanced driver. My main purpose was to finish up my unfinished work
before 7.4
using V3 protocol, holdable cursors etc. The current driver under Windows is
available without the existence of libpq.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue