Re: database locale and system locale

От Erwin Brandstetter
Тема Re: database locale and system locale
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us wrote:
> Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter@falter.at> writes:
>
>> Wait .. not that great! The system locale is more or less ignored, but
>> my sort order will approach randomness?
>>

> Peter's point is that a given locale setting will expect a particular
> encoding, and if you try to use a different encoding then your sort
> ordering will be wrong.  Not "random" exactly, but not what you want.

Sorry, maybe I am slow in the head. Are you referring to the system
locale of the client OS?
My question was aiming at the database server OS. (Maybe I have not been
clear enough myself.)

Example:
~~~~~~~

Postgresql  --encoding=UTF8 --locale='de_AT.UTF-8@euro'
Server OS: (Debian Sarge) set system locale 'C' (locale
'de_AT.UTF-8@euro' is installed, too)
PHP5, Apache.
Client: Browser (Mozilla Firefox in our case) on various OS´s (Mac, Win,
Linux), set to work with UNICODE data.

Would the system locale of the _server_ OS mess with the sort order? (Or
with anything at all?)

Any sorting done on the client would be based on the _client_ OS system
locale, but that is a different question ..

Regards
Erwin Brandstetter